Tuk Tuk Rally Racing

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Tuk Tuk Rally Racing

Postby Kurt » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:56 pm

This is cool as hell.

F1, Indy and NASCAR totally suck compared to this.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/4462 ... lanka/amp/

I would love to see stuff like Tap-Tap Vs. Gua Gua Hispaniola Invitational or Chickenbus motocross with an area where you could actually "plunge" into a ravine.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Tuk Tuk Rally Racing

Postby ROB » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:42 pm

It’s all about the safety gear.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:44 am

that's got to promote spine health. Those blasted things have absolutely no suspension. Wonder if those guys would also try to charge you 400 rupees to go a block.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:03 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote: spine health.

at 00:52 you start to understand that yes indeed, destruction is part of the sport. To each their own I guess.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:06 am

I'm amazed that the suspension on those things holds up to jumping.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:13 pm

snaark wrote:I'm amazed that the suspension on those things holds up to jumping.

I was cringing watching each front wheel.

The cool thing about racing is not the driver but the pit crew.

I am staggered about how fast and organized it is, but with the tuk tuks the driver is not important, it is the crew that pushes and keeps the things upright that are incredible.

Hope ESPN 5 becomes a thing, I would love to be able to have Tuk Tuk racing, demolition derbys and 24 Hours of LeMons playing in the background as I go about my day.

Ages ago I was actually considering trying to get a BFC 24 hours of LeMons crew together.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:40 am

Kurt wrote:Ages ago I was actually considering trying to get a BFC 24 hours of LeMons crew together.

Fuck yeah! I'd be so up for that, especially if I can race a crown vic. America has so many cool types of grassroots motorsport. Germans are too uptight for these things.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Devlin » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Really good stuff !
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:41 pm

snaark wrote:
Kurt wrote:Ages ago I was actually considering trying to get a BFC 24 hours of LeMons crew together.

Fuck yeah! I'd be so up for that, especially if I can race a crown vic. America has so many cool types of grassroots motorsport. Germans are too uptight for these things.

I'd go for a 90s era Taurus or maybe a diesel Rabbit for endurance.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:56 pm

I used to work with a dude who entered a Dakar-style rally in northwestern Australia in an 800cc Suzuki from the 80s (a bit like a Maruti). He spent months reinforcing the suspension and welding in a roll cage from bits of scrap. His budget was probably less than $1k. He finished the race, when other dudes with $100k+ buggies broke down.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:24 pm

snaark wrote:I used to work with a dude who entered a Dakar-style rally in northwestern Australia in an 800cc Suzuki from the 80s (a bit like a Maruti). He spent months reinforcing the suspension and welding in a roll cage from bits of scrap. His budget was probably less than $1k. He finished the race, when other dudes with $100k+ buggies broke down.

Kind of like how locals in the Sahara used to prefer Citroen 504 and 1977 to 1982 Mercedes Diesel to trek accross the desert (I would go with the HiLux simply because I know it is proven in many environments) while the Range Rovers would be decent, but not at the price that a used Citroen or Merc provided.

The trick to a budget 24 hour race would be a decent low revving engine with good fuel economy. Diesels in the US are not that common so maybe a Chevy 2.5 (plus they are in a lot of dirt cheap cars here). It would be a fun thing to spec out, not sure how I would do with building though.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe