2020 as the year

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

2020 as the year

Postby Kurt » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:54 am

Drones won a war.

Azerbaijian vs. The Armenians of Ngorno KRkrkakbablcih

Not cool, sophisticated drones either but cheap ones, loaded with explosives and "Kamakazi-ed" into Armenians.

Armenians fought with tanks and in trenches. Plus they were brave and usually came out on top of the somewhat chickenshit Azeris, who wanted to fight but did not want to die (I can sympathize).

Turns out that lazy, video game loving kiddies who want to sit in comfort, eat cheetos and drink coke are what is needed to win wars. All they needed was some cheap hardware from Turkey and their oil barons wanting people to pay attention to Armenians rather than themselves for a few months.

Imagine billions of dollars with of Aircraft Carrier groups manned by the toughest and best Sailors and Marines the US has to offer vs. millions of dollars of drones manned by the nation's worst couch potatoes.

I'd bet on the potatoes.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: 2020 as the year

Postby Alphabet » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:05 am

Our fave BW founder sent teams to train the Azeris way back when. Baby Bush approved. The footage from the battles was pretty gnarly. I wasn't surprised that Armenia didn't go ham over the loss of NKR, because they knew Turkey would eat their lunch, and the cucks in NATO back Turkey. Despite Turkey flooding NATO with "refugees". But, that's a different thread.

Either way, none of our business. We have to save our kids up for the coming cannon fodder event in Iran.

ETA: You're overthinking modern warfare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

However, I would love to see our military get with the times, socially. Let's ship out Hollywood, dress up a strong black woman in a cape, and have her stand on the border with Iran with her hands on her hips. Stern look in her eyes. Cornrows blowing in the wind. There has been way, way too much straight White male privilege in warfare for way too long. Time we address that racism, and sent POC non binary/furry/trans/whatever to the front lines.

Dude....Iran wouldn't do shit.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:09 pm

Kurt wrote:Drones won a war.
You don't win these kinds of wars but this happened last year, IMO 21st century version of "two thousand pounds of education drops to a ten-rupee jezail".
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Kurt » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:12 am

el3so wrote:
Kurt wrote:Drones won a war.
You don't win these kinds of wars but this happened last year, IMO 21st century version of "two thousand pounds of education drops to a ten-rupee jezail".

Oh yah, I forgot about that one.

But no territory was surrendered right? I mean, maybe in Yemen somewhere but I think AZ vs. Arm is the first actual victory with surrended stuff and land by using drones.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Alphabet » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:08 am

Alphabet wrote:Our fave BW founder sent teams to train the Azeris way back when. Baby Bush approved. The footage from the battles was pretty gnarly. I wasn't surprised that Armenia didn't go ham over the loss of NKR, because they knew Turkey would eat their lunch, and the cucks in NATO back Turkey. Despite Turkey flooding NATO with "refugees". But, that's a different thread.

Either way, none of our business. We have to save our kids up for the coming cannon fodder event in Iran.

ETA: You're overthinking modern warfare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

However, I would love to see our military get with the times, socially. Let's ship out Hollywood, dress up a strong black woman in a cape, and have her stand on the border with Iran with her hands on her hips. Stern look in her eyes. Cornrows blowing in the wind. There has been way, way too much straight White male privilege in warfare for way too long. Time we address that racism, and sent POC non binary/furry/trans/whatever to the front lines.

Dude....Iran wouldn't do shit.

Crickets.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:09 am

Nah, the drones aren't that cheap. The Azeri's were fielding Turkish systems with a master UAV used to direct "loitering" munitions - AKA drone swarms launched via MLRS. These were fairly sophisticated systems that were homing in on specific targets. There's one thermal vid of a couple of Armenian infantry platoons coming under what looked to be cluster munitions except instead of being distributed in a dispersion pattern these bombs were hitting individual soldiers every damn time.

US better get their CUAV abilities up to par because the Azeris were able to field enough of these Turkish systems to destroy about 40% of the Armenian ground forces in about 4 weeks. Armenia lost almost an tank division's worth of T-72s. M1 tanks won't do any better against top attack munitions.

Previously in the Armenian-Azeri dust ups the Armenians held their own.

Bet your ass the Chinese are factoring in drone swarms as part of their strategy.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe