Biden's Pick for Secretary of Defense

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Biden's Pick for Secretary of Defense

Postby Kurt » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Lloyd Austin.

An actual military guy.

Apparently the 57000 troops under Ft. Bragg are quite fond of him.

Choosing a Military guy to run the Pentagon is unusual. Tradition favors a civilian.

To me this shows the Biden team is actually considering a number of things ... That of the Brits (He served in Basra with the Brits (Gen. Sir Richard Barrons served with him) and Austin has a bit of experience with dealing with a portion of an angry populace who disagrees with election results. I think Biden is brushing of "Stop The Steal" while making plans of what to do after the inaugeration if the Civil War advocates like Milo Yanno-whater-polis has just advocated.

Btw Milos call for MAGA succession starts with how much money he lost by being kicked off Twitter....which is really, really funny.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Biden's Pick for Secretary of Defense

Postby snaark » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:43 pm

The odds on fav was Michelle Flournoy, but apparently the left wing of the dems thought she was too hawkish and because she did consulting work for defence companies.... so they picked a retired general who did consulting work for defence companies instead. Makes perfect sense.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:40 pm

snaark wrote:The odds on fav was Michelle Flournoy, but apparently the left wing of the dems thought she was too hawkish and because she did consulting work for defence companies.... so they picked a retired general who did consulting work for defence companies instead. Makes perfect sense.

Neither of that is surprising. You either get Civilians wanting war who are tied in with the defense industry in some way or Ex-Mil, who above a certain rank after retirement are tied into the defense industry in some way.

I found the odd bit being how he was the one who strategized how to handle Iraqis who were upset at the election results.

How could anyone not notice that part?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:20 am

snaark wrote: Michelle Flournoy (...) too hawkish
Wiki says most of the Libya thing is on her. Can't be bothered to read up on it. Not a big win either way IMO.
Kurt wrote: Neither of that is surprising. You either get Civilians wanting war who are tied in with the defense industry in some way or Ex-Mil, who above a certain rank after retirement are tied into the defense industry in some way.
I had to google the politicians.
Sec def list McNamara's name rang out, in a different way so did Rumsfeld's and Cheney. Funny how none of them didn't turn up in those Pizzagate Epstein child-blood-sex stories. They'd be prime candidates for that "evil white men, sitting in some dark room, screwing over the little people" grand conspiracy.

Ex-military I only saw Mattis, guess he tried for a while. For the whole of the Trump term not too much press about Joe Q Jihad getting bombed, double-tapped or drone-struck.

And of course George Marshall. Nomen est omen.
Kurt wrote: I found the odd bit being how he was the one who strategized how to handle Iraqis who were upset at the election results. How could anyone not notice that part?
First black man to head the US military too. Just saying.
Coupled with 5G.
And the vaccine.
I bet that sets off all sorts of triggers with the NWO crowd.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:26 am

Yeah, but he's not Steve Austin. He'd be your defense department.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:23 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Yeah, but he's not Steve Austin. He'd be your defense department.

We are spit-balling and anything goes, I'll see your Stone Cold and raise you a Randy "Macho Man" Savage.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby el3so » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:10 am

tried to fix a double negatie, timed out, gist gets through
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:49 pm

Kurt wrote:
snaark wrote:The odds on fav was Michelle Flournoy, but apparently the left wing of the dems thought she was too hawkish and because she did consulting work for defence companies.... so they picked a retired general who did consulting work for defence companies instead. Makes perfect sense.

Neither of that is surprising. You either get Civilians wanting war who are tied in with the defense industry in some way or Ex-Mil, who above a certain rank after retirement are tied into the defense industry in some way.

It's not surprising at all. But "consultant" and "defence industry" are dirty words these days. Heaven forbid the person in charge of buying shit for the world's biggest military has some knowledge of the defence industry.

Flournoy was apparently frowned upon because she is a founding partner of a consulting firm called westexec. The other founding partner is Antony Blinken, your new secretary of state. Apparently the progressives thought that two defence industry consultants from the same firm was too much.

BTW I didn't know George Marshall served as defence secretary and secretary of state.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby Tarkan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:35 am

el3so wrote:
snaark wrote: Michelle Flournoy (...) too hawkish
Wiki says most of the Libya thing is on her. Can't be bothered to read up on it. Not a big win either way IMO.

Libya was a clusterfuck of monumental proportions. Assuming, of course, that ISIS isn't just a CIA created and backed organization and it was all by design.

Let's overthrow a secular Arab dictatorship with the highest per capita GDP (and median GDP) in North Africa and replace it with a bunch of Islamic fascists so they can run open air slave markets and traffic tons of weapons to their ISIS buddies in Syria, turning that country into a wasteland as well.

I'm sure some Brits and some French and some Obama admin officials got to line their Swiss bank accounts some more though because of it.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:55 am

el3so wrote:
ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Yeah, but he's not Steve Austin. He'd be your defense department.

We are spit-balling and anything goes, I'll see your Stone Cold and raise you a Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

I was thinking of the original bionic Steve Austin
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:12 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote: I was thinking of the original bionic Steve Austin
My mistake. I was pleasantly surprised to read Lee Majors is still alive.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby el3so » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:45 am

Tarkan wrote: Libya was a clusterfuck of monumental proportions. Assuming, of course, that ISIS isn't just a CIA created and backed organization and it was all by design.
More of an "enemy of our enemy" kind of thing getting out of hand, pushed by politicians huffing their own hubris.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Return to Black Flag Cafe