Egypt - Body Armor importation

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Egypt - Body Armor importation

Postby Peacedoggie » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:21 am

To all,

I had an account here years ago and some good advice was given regarding a trip to Indian Kashmir. It was memorable.

First, I understand nothing here constitutes legal advice and the situation in developing countries is always "developing."

I may be spending some time in southern Egypt, and the Sudan, in the not so distant future.

Can I bring one set of civilian body armor to include class III plates into Egypt for personal use or is customs just going to keep it, fine me, get me deported, etc.?

I tried looking on-line and, or course, found nothing. Calling embassies with this kind of question...usually does not work out so well in my experience. The Qatari government still has a bunch of my kit from years ago and that was when I was in the military and supposedly had all the proper clearance. I've been burned before. Luckily being DoD at the time, they just took my stuff and let me go.

FWIW, I'll be shooting backgrounds for an app that is in development using less well trafficked archaeological sites.

Thanks in advance,

Peacedog
Peacedoggie

Re: Egypt - Body Armor importation

Postby Chimborazo » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Regardless of what the rules are, I'm guessing that there's little chance of you keeping it and the best (though not the most likely) scenario is that you get to walk away like you did in Qatar.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe