Garmín inreach mini

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Garmín inreach mini

Postby db36046 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:22 am

Does anyone have experience with the Garmin InReach Mini? I have one and like it but have only used it in US and Mexico, (including some littoral waters) outside of cellphone range. It’s been doing the job for me, but if anyone has tested it in really remote areas (Amazon, Middle East, Sahara, Alaska, Sahara, Gobi or Kalahari, sailboats in blue water...) I’d like to hear your opinion. Thanks.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Re: Garmín inreach mini

Postby db36046 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:12 am

Ok, no takers. Here’s my opinion after having one for a while. I like it. The system for sending text messages by satellite is very clunky but since you can link it to a cellphone and use the keyboard on the phone that’s not a problem. This works even when out of cellphone network range. With the Earthmate app installed this also allows you to see your position on a map even when you are out of cellphone range, which has saved my hide a couple of times. The inReach devices serve as: 1. a basic GPS navigator, 2. an emergency locator beacon/ satellite tracking device so my office/wife can find me a usherette in the world, posting my location to a map on a website. 3. Two-way satellite-based text messaging 4. An SOS system that will launch a Search and Rescue in a worst case scenario, with communication to a global emergency response center. I have not had to use that feature yet, thank God.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Re: Garmín inreach mini

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:40 am

Oddly the only time I have been outside of cell phone range in my recent travels has been in parts of Wisconsin.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!