Tanzania Trip

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Tanzania Trip

Postby babihutan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:12 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33942066@ ... ed-public/

Hey fellow flaggers, since we’re all grounded....for the most part, thought I’d dig up some of my travel pics to get the old spirit of exploration flowing again. Lake Eyasi, central Tanzania
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Re: Tanzania Trip

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:22 pm

Is that a Jackson's Chameleon?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby sparrow » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:07 am

^^Thanks for the pictures. Feels like watching a whole story, almost like being there.

I'm still not through them all. That's one very, very large tree.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby babihutan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Kurt wrote:Is that a Jackson's Chameleon?

I’m no expert but I believe it’s a young Jackson’s. So many cool critters big and small appeared there. I’ve never been anywhere with that abundance of wildlife.

sparrow wrote:^^Thanks for the pictures. Feels like watching a whole story, almost like being there.

I'm still not through them all. That's one very, very large tree.

Thanks, that was the whole trip in 2018. I got lots of practice with my first DSLR camera.

Those big Baobab trees were very impressive! I learned those trees have a soft sponge-like inside, so many locals gouge out the interior and you have a huge room inside the tree to camp out in.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:02 pm

Very cool! I lived down in Mtwara for almost 4 years, spent a lot of time in Dar too. Absolutely loved Tanzania!
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:27 am

The guide I've used for my 3 trips to TZ just got out of the hospital in Arusha after 10 days w/Covid. The president of TZ believes that everyone should go to their church or mosque & pray together to defeat the demon virus. The Health Minister initially chose to reject the vaccine in favor of traditional herbs that they've used for ages. Sad!

I've told him that as soon as travel is open I can't wait to return. Such an amazing place.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby ROB » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:13 am

Very cool. Thanks for sharin.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Re: Tanzania Tri

Postby babihutan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:04 am

Darcy wrote:Very cool! I lived down in Mtwara for almost 4 years, spent a lot of time in Dar too. Absolutely loved Tanzania!

That’s awesome. I never made it to Mtwara, but got to see Zanzibar, Dar, Lushoto (cool lush mountainous area), Arusha, the Hadzabe people by Lake Eyasi, The Masai by Ol Doinyo Lengai (climbed this volcano at night and got stranded near the top in a freak rain and lightning storm that turned our only trail up/down into a raging torrent), the foothills of Kilimanjaro where the world’s best coffee most definitely can be found, and the amazing Selous Game Park.

I would go back. The landscape was raw and diverse, the people were surprisingly gentle and friendly. The food in Zanzibar was delicious. Quite impressive how many tribes in such a small country get along very well, and didn’t even notice any resentment toward the white man like I imagine you would in some other countries in the area.

Did you visit Mozambique living so close to the border?
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Re: Tanzania Tripp

Postby babihutan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:12 am

svizzerams wrote:The guide I've used for my 3 trips to TZ just got out of the hospital in Arusha after 10 days w/Covid. The president of TZ believes that everyone should go to their church or mosque & pray together to defeat the demon virus. The Health Minister initially chose to reject the vaccine in favor of traditional herbs that they've used for ages. Sad!

I've told him that as soon as travel is open I can't wait to return. Such an amazing place.

Indeed very cool place. And yes about the demon virus mindset..I believe some people there still kill albinos as they are certainly a direct link to satan himself. Science hasn’t caught on yet. I met three young nurses from Denmark who had worked in a hospital in Arusha and their stories of all the shit they saw inside...doctors letting babies die due to their own superstitions when basic western medicine or treatment could have easily saved them. AND the parents of dead babies being totally cool with it as this was the doctor’s order, and so the will of God. Very fatalistic people.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:13 am

ROB wrote:Very cool. Thanks for sharin.

Thanks dude!
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:09 pm

Yeah, we got down to Mocímboa da Praia on occasion. I was trying to get into a operation in Pemba but it never worked out. We used to fly the Rovuma frequently, watch the hippos. I loved Zanizibar too, spent a lot of time there. The food was very, very good if you new where to look. My Swahili is pretty rusty now but I was almost fluent. I recently applied to a Kenyan company trying to return to the region, but sounds like I'm headed to the high Arctic followed by Antarctica next fall. Ugh.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe