What You Doing With Your Money?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: What You Doing With Your Money?

Postby Darcy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 pm

I spend it as I make it, which sucks right now as I'm between gigs. Got a tad in RSPs. My house in the woods is paid off, both 10 year old cars are paid for, kid's school paid off and she's working and living with a decent guy now, wife has a steady Federal Government job, I've got a very marketable skill, so I'm trying to curb spending until I get back to it. Most of my money goes into fishing gear, charters, travel and stupid shit like Randall Knives and Tibor reels, Les Pauls, tube amps... I should probably invest some of it when I get back to work...
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:38 am

My savings are in a very boring couch potato investment portfolio, mainly Vanguard ETFs. I put money in regularly, but have no intention of taking any out until I retire. Rebalance about once per quarter. Covid-19 provided a serious discount on stocks, so it's doing well.

I was also setting aside some cash every month in a "covid-19 fun jar" to spend exclusively on travel once this pandemic is over. Then I realised setting it aside in a 0% interest account for an indefinite period of time probably wasn't the best move...so I invested it in a diversified cryptocurrency portfolio via Kraken. Well, first I signed up for Coinbase but their customer service was so atrocious that I left almost immediately. I hold the 10 largest coins weighted by market cap. That has gone through the roof over the past few months, which should fund some fun adventures once covid-19 is under control!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:22 am

Ozymandias wrote:My savings are in a very boring couch potato investment portfolio, mainly Vanguard ETFs. I put money in regularly, but have no intention of taking any out until I retire. Rebalance about once per quarter.
Darcy wrote:Got a tad in RSPs.
Boring beats going bust. Time in the market vs timing the market etc.
Ozymandias wrote:Then I realised setting it aside in a 0% interest account for an indefinite period of time probably wasn't the best move... so I invested it in a diversified cryptocurrency portfolio via Kraken. Well, first I signed up for Coinbase but their customer service was so atrocious that I left almost immediately. I hold the 10 largest coins weighted by market cap.
Hard to get more liquid than classic accounts though.
Very small BTC wallet here, internet-only greymarket tokens, some Dutch company, bad transactions fees. Too volatile for serious money IMO but good luck!
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby svizzerams » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 am

I have a middling portfolio which I pay no attention too, but have accumulated enough to retire this September. YAY. Invested all my mad money into a sizable collection of Canons. I bought a dirt colored 2021 RAM Promaster 159" WB Hightop Van, which is being converted into a camper at this very moment & should be ready sometime in March/April. I'll be off-grid capable. I'll be exploring North America & pursuing a new hobby of fighting voter suppression. I'm keeping my house. My cats need somewhere to live while I'm on the road.

My community is a tourist town with many denizens from Seattle buying 2nd homes here. Our county has the 2nd cheapest electricity in the country. We also have fiberoptic internet, which is provided through our Public Utility District. During covid our real-estate market heated right up as tech workers were sent home in the city & quite a few migrated here.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Kurt » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:10 am

Darcy wrote:tube amps

This guy from near my hometown in Wisconsin will either help you with your addiction or fix broken stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/superfineamps/

The logo is from a beer brewed in Marathon Wisconsin until 1967. It shut down before we were born but grew up finding the bottles and beer cans everywhere and now in my home town a brewery has rescued all the local recipes from the old, small breweries that popped up before Schlitz, Budweiser and Miller took over everything and it is being brewed again.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:12 pm

Very cool! I rebuild old amps from the 50s and 60s, get my vintage parts from a few different suppliers, but I'll check him out. For my own use mostly. I build my own cabs too.

Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:39 pm

Holy shit.

Another friend of mine makes his own effects pedals from analog electronics.

Must be something about growing up in a cold area.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:28 am

ROB wrote:I am all in cash, company and a bit of real estate at the moment. Got a bit of analysis paralysis to be honest.
Too late by now, getting was good mid-March April 2020. Might as well wait for the big downturn, hop in then. Always been in way too deep to divest completely even back in january 2020 like Tarkan claims he did, can't time the market unless you consider all of it gambling (which I do btw) but I haven't heard of any legal alternatives.

Whole stock market is driven by the bigger fool theory anyway, more people getting in means more fools.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby ROB » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:45 am

Dollar cost averaging should save you from the fools, at least to an extent.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sat May 07, 2022 12:02 am

ROB wrote:Dollar cost averaging should save you from the fools, at least to an extent.

More fools every day, way of the "stuck with inflation and easy access to finance" world. Living in a capitalist society, human suffering is a given, be it numbers or other pixel configurations on a screen. I try my best to be a nice person in real life.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Thu May 12, 2022 9:25 am

I'd say now would be a real good time to convert everything to cash if you haven't done so already.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu May 12, 2022 12:34 pm

snaark wrote:I'd say now would be a real good time to convert everything to cash if you haven't done so already.
LOL maybe you should tell us about there not being inflation in Europe again.

Haven't even liquidated the feel-good, close-to-no-profit, not publicly traded stuff. Sucks for the people getting wiped.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Thu May 12, 2022 1:41 pm

Who said there wasn't inflation in Europe? Dunno bout you but inflation seems to me the lesser of two evils right now.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu May 12, 2022 2:14 pm

Crypto is hilarious now.

Coinbase may go bankrupt and lo-and-behold it turns out that the "coinbase wallets" and their contents are technically owned by Coinbase. So customer "assets" ...which are not assets apparently, could be vulnerable to bankruptcy proceedings and may in fact be owned by Coinbase vendors.

https://fortune.com/2022/05/11/coinbase ... ngs-stock/

Then there is Stablecoin. Pegged to the USD in value so $1 = Stablecoin. But these have dipped below $1 and it is assumed that the place that make these "tokens" have somewhere around 0% to 5% backing of their currency reserves.

Stablecoin is used to purchase other crypto.

So I make a token called Kurtbux and declare 1 Kurtbux = $1 and create 1 Billion Kurtbux backed by the $46 I have in my pocket now. Then I create a bunch of sockpuppet wallets filled with Kurtbux, invest about $1k in cloud infrastructure which is mostly IP addresses and start buying lets say RobCoin because KurRob is a secret company that is one company but pretends it is separate. If I buy 1 million RobCoin at 1 cent each and the first 2 hashes have generated 2 million RobCoins we have just created, through fraud, we have just created $20k of value with a $1k investment. A few more hashed payouts can be done before it becomes too hard to mine on a laptop.
Then give twitter coinbot wrangers a bunch of RobCoin and have them pump it up, Then I keep buying RobCoin with Kurtbux and we proceed to launder it by buying other crypto with RobCoin and finally use Coinbase to cash out with real money. If someone else gets a hold of more than $46 in Kurtbux KurtCo declares bankruptcy and count how much money we made literally out of thin air.

This is what Crypto is. That is why Coinbase lost $400+ million this year is the people who generated fake money cashed out for real money after using fake money to cause other fake money to go up in value.

I am curious if there are Crypto-NFT holding company type places who have created CDO and if those have made their way into the regular world of bond trading.

A friend of mine who is paid to monitor Nazis on Telegram said that the drop in crypto is causing a lot of stress among the radical right and they are, of course, blaming the Jews. So there is that.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Thu May 12, 2022 6:12 pm

To me the most astonishing thing about crypto how long its taking the authorities to wake up to the scam. That guy from the OC has apparently figured it out, but not the SEC.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe